Skip to main content

Monday the 24th

Last week ending Saturday was our little Counties annual Fair. Back in California I remember the "Orange Show" in San Bernardino was a week, the L.A. County Fair in Pomona was two weeks, our Fair, 4 days, Wednesday to Saturday.
This year as in 2007 I decided to enter some photos. I entered six and had five win! Pretty pleased actually, one was first place and "best of class", two second and two third. The winnings really aren't much, small county and all, so I just kept the ribbons and let them keep the money! You always have a choice when you win at the fair to keep the ribbons with any winnings or turn them back in to be 'recycled' for next year as they don't date the ribbons. The winnings for my photos would have been about $4.00 so I donated it back to the fair. They don't charge to enter projects and there's no cost to enter the fair so it's OK with me.
When Stacy and I went to see the fair Saturday evening we checked out all there was to see in about 30 minutes to give you an idea of the scope of the fair here. We visited with some people we know that were there with their Llamas and Alpacas, looked at all the livestock on hand and entered some of the many raffles of all kinds that were more evident this year than I remember ever before. But here it is Monday and we never got called so I'm guessing we didn't anything. Would have liked the BBQ a local fired department was raffling off, oh well.
While we wandered around, we like so many others were fighting off the wasps that were drawn to all the sodas and food all over the place from the vendors to be spilled or stuffed into the overflowing trash cans. While I was watching a guy getting dunked in a dunk tank, that's when I had a wasp go up my sleeve and get me twice on my left upper arm. Didn't feel it until the sting, then of course too late. Still hurts, still swollen, still on fire hot and achy, although no as badly swollen as yesterday. We located a nurse Stacy knows giving blood pressure readings and she took a look but said that unless I was having trouble breathing not much could be done except get the Benadryl topical and internal and take it easy, so we left a few minutes later and I did. Not good for me though because I've gotten pretty allergic and try to avoid stinging things of all kinds. Hopefully one sting last year and once this year will be it for a few years!

Yesterday we had to go to the fair grounds and pick up my photos and after that we went to the garden and went through picking veggies. Corn is coming in now and we had four grocery bags of squash, cucumbers, future pickles, beans and corn. After about an hour there we spent about two hours at home taking care of all the stuff. Stacy did some prep work for some squash bread next weekend as well as the pickles and stuff. I'll put up some photos tomorrow, I left my camera at home today.

Dropped the Solstice off this am at the dealers body shop for repairs discussed in last weeks post. Estimate came out to $336.00 for some body work where the neighbors dog "Andy", had scratched the car up pretty badly in two spots and in his frenzy to 'get the kitty' and put bite marks in the left front wheel well. Most of the cost is to fill those little teeth holes and buff out the scratches. Luckily they should all buff out. Hope they do! Should get it back Wednesday or Thursday.

Guess that's it for now, Sandy is in India until Wednesday and we haven't heard from anybody else lately which must be a good thing right? Not hearing from should mean everybody is doing OK!

Till later, Tad

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 1st

Just as with the last post I wrote, Stacy is again down in Boise for meetings. This time two days of different types that she was wrangled into going for when the supervisor didn't want to go. These are some high end "department head" meetings and state wide commissioners from the state are there too. Stacy does feel a little out of place but she should do well in any event. It was winter again over the weekend, we woke up on Saturday to a light snow. It wasn't sticking then and it snowed all day without any staying on the ground. Overnight into Sunday it got cold enough and started to stay. Got almost two inches and it snowed all day yesterday too. Actually it was nice. Stacy had to drive over to Spokane (2- 1/2 hours away) for her flight to Boise and when she called she said it was slow going much of the way towards Coeur d' Alene then the snow became rain from before that area on. It is usually colder here than Sandpoint (because of the large lake there), and S...

Just an update

It is getting more like fall to winter now in our area. All the weather forecasts give the possible snow levels and altitudes in the recordings. The temps have been in the low 50's for the past week which is the normal temp range. It has warmed up at night to the low thirties from the low twenties of last week and earlier this week. Next week it's forecasting only low to mid forties! For the high temps! In looking at photos and the older blogs, last October 27th, 2009, was the first snow of the season back then. Will it snow around the same time this year? Stacy and I are both off work next week because our daughter Laura and her son, the only grand kid so far, will be flying out this Sunday for a weeks visit. Stacy and I are really looking forward to the visit. Last time Laura was here was in the summer of 2006 for a couple of weeks. Quite a lot has changed in her little family since then! And Tyler is 4 years old now so he might do more than sleep or cry as he did last visit!...

Its Fall again!

Although the date this says 'posted' is from a while back, I'm online to type about theses photos and get this posted for you to see today, October 12th! I'd uploaded these and the next post couple of photos fully intending to get right back to it in a day or so, it just didn't happen like that. Stacy's father took a trip to California to visit family out there and since he was gone (he's getting back tomorrow night) we've been very busy working at home as well as stuff going on at work. So it's been busy, busy, busy! Stacy left this morning to fly to Boise for meetings (again!) and will be back late tomorrow too. On to these photos; top one is actually on our property, just out back in the forest. The fern was just going yellow to gold then, on this fall morning, it is really golden and rust browns now just a couple of weeks later. Middle photo is a road a little over a mile away in the early evening that I liked with the late day sun on the Aspen ...