Skip to main content

The HACK, part 2.

Well, so far it looks like the intrusion into one of our e-mail accounts might have been, for now anyway, a one time event.

I got the whole short story from Sandy a day later, since she was still in Mumbai then, and found why we couldn't locate any record of a sent e-mail. Because there wasn't one!
Whomever had gotten into the e-mail account had contacted Sandy via the Chat when she was active and on-line on her iPhone while in India.
After I found out it had been a chat and not an e-mail like I'd lead to believe, and since we have the chats saved in Google, I was able to look it up and see it right there. A short conversation in bad spelling and grammar culminating with the person saying that a "friend" needed $500.00, and questioning whether Sandy knew who she was typing with. Luckily Sandy being pretty smart picked up really fast that the person on the other end of what was being typed wasn't anyone who should be on that account.

I found out that Google keeps a list that's viewable of recent I.P. addresses that have accessed the account. If you have a Google account it is at the bottom of the page under the e-mail listings. It shows the most recent I.P. address and next to it has "Details". Just click "details" and that list pops up in a new window. Unfortunately I found this information out too late and by the time I did learn this little 'trick' I had accessed the account so many times that the 'event' I was looking for wasn't still available. TOO BAD!!!

I also found out that one can ensure your Google account isn't open someplace else and close it if it might be. I did. I also changed the passwords and have been checking various accounts for evidence of being compromised. Nothing yet.

At this point we doubt we'll ever know what really happened, was the account accessed locally as Sandy thinks or in India like I think is a possibility? We just hope that it was a one time breach and be done with it.

However, like I said in the last post, if this person or persons have 'stolen' all our contacts, you could still get something as saying it's from an e-mail account of ours. If it looks weird, just contact us! In fact if you ever should PLEASE contact us so we'll know!

Sandy got back from India last weekend. She might have to go again, she hopes not!
locally the long fall that should be winter continues on for us. Mid-West and East seem to be getting all the snow this year. Almost all of the snow has gone now. Just some, more ice than snow, in the shady areas. It still does snow, just isn't much more than an inch that doesn't stay since it's so warm for this area. Low 30's at night and low 40's in the daytime. Should be teens at night and twenties and low thirties in the daytime for February.

Sunday was the Super Bowl. I used to record the whole thing then we'd fast forward through the game and watch the commercials. Don't need to anymore as places like YouTube and HULU have it where you can watch all the commercials one right after the other. I didn't think there were any standouts this year, not like some past years. And some people I talked to that actually watched the game complained about commercial breaks almost every 2 or 3 minutes. Or so it seemed to them.
I've never been a football fan. When I was in Jr. High and High School I was always being asked to try out for the teams but I wasn't interested. My grandmother didn't want me to because of all the lasting injuries she knew of from people she worked with that had been in High School football. I just didn't like football and by High school I had after school and weekend jobs and that was my focus then!
I sometimes wonder now though, just how different might my life had been if I had been a "football jock"? Would it have been sports scholarships and such to a whole different life than the one I've had? I'll never know now.
I did like baseball in school, but I never tried out for two reasons, one the mentioned jobs, but also when I played during P.E. I was almost always taking out the pitchers with line drives right to them! It got to where no one would want to pitch to me when I was up.

Till next time, Tad

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life in a Northern Town, In Winter

So, here we are, early in 2018. While our area gets cold, we don't get the  really cold, the cold of Montana and eastward. Where we are, in North Idaho, 30 miles from Canada, we are in a bowl of a valley. That's why we wind up with mostly overcast days in the winter. We are also pretty well protected from the strong blizzard kinds of winds and the weather patterns that are causing the conditions in Montana eastward, a parked high-pressure system that steers that super cold weather up and over this area and into Montana and eastward. We are into, what is usually some of the coldest weather of the year for this area, for a normal year! When was the last of those, normal years, thanks to climate change, whether from natural cycles or what's been changed by human expansion? Anyway, since before Christmas the area has been lows in the 8 to 10-degree (F) range (-13 C to -12 C) with highs in the upper teens to low 20's (-6 C or so). As mentioned the last post, we'd

Yeah!! The Elections are over!!! For now.....

Yes we're sure glad the elections are over, that is a really good thing. But we're even more happy that they're over because of the CONSTANT commercials on TV and the, seemed like, every night calls at home. With the stretched out length of this election "season" (as it was referred to on many programs!), and with those increasingly annoying TV adds and calls to sway votes, we quit answering the phone all together, were really bad and lasted so much longer this time around. And with our ability to see regional TV from other locations in the US and Canada, what we didn't see for more local stuff, we saw the same kinds of things for those areas instead. It was interesting at times, and thoughts of how things could have changed if the actual election had been held earlier with the rush of pro Palin, or if Obama had chosen Hillary instead of Biden, just so many things this time around had potential for some serious changes to the outcome! But we've got what

Other things from the past week

Hornets, Yellow jackets, and Wasps, a very, very bad year this year for them around here!  And not just in our area but most of North Idaho from what we've found out. In fact when Stacy stopped at Wal Mart to buy some new bait for our traps, Wal Mart was sold out and across the street at Home Depot, she was lucky to get there when a new shipment of traps and bait was being opened. She was told by the clerk that their shipments have been selling out in less than a day and as quick as a half hour as so many people are having problems with the bugs! And hospital and doctor visits have increased dramatically too due to stings according to the news. It has been both hotter and dryer than normal locally this summer so mosquitoes were way down, a very good thing!  But now in late August when the "skitos" would be low anyway, the Hornets, Yellow Jackets and Wasps, and yes we have all three types on our place!, have been going crazy quietly building nests all over the