Skip to main content

21,550 + 1. That's because yesterday was my birthday.

What a nice weekend!
Summer had abruptly ended in our part of the northwest with fall like weather and temperatures and even some very much needed rain. Such a relief from a long pretty hot summer. Luckily no fires like last year. 
So yes, yesterday was my birthday. Those numbers are the days I've been around since I was born, plus the one since I didn't get to this post yesterday.  Way back when, I was born on a Wednesday, this year a Sunday and when on Mondays, I remember those most from over the years. 
As a kid my birthday always meant one thing and one thing only, school was just about to start.

With the cooler weather and the three days off, Stacy and I got a jump on some fallen trees on our property for our wood stock pile for this year. We spent much of Saturday on this job with other jobs getting done too. 
The rain made it possible for us to use our chainsaws which we wouldn't have been super safe to use with the really dry last couple of months. In this area from May 10th to October 10th are the yearly restrictions due to fire safety. Earlier today we worked on getting the splitter ready for use and also got the snow thrower ready for its upcoming job, and sooner than you'd think it will be needed. 

For my birthday I was very surprised by Stacy in that she had gotten me an excellent present! Over the years and especially living in an area with no light or smog pollution she got me a high quality telescope with the necessary attachment to connect my DSLR and try my hand at astrophotography. It should be here tomorrow and I'm looking forward to setting  it up and trying it out. 

Speaking of photography, I was offered to try selling some of my photos at an area cafe and the photos I've ordered, printed on metal, will come in this week too. 

As for our recent "Dinosaur Trip" I have been working on a long post as well as going through the thousands of photos taken between me, Sandy and Stacy. It takes time! So, shouldn't be too much longer and will be posted. And I still have to get our momento photo books completed too. 
So much to do and they just take time, all of them.

There has been a lot about the 50 year anniversary of Star Trek on September 8th. My Star Trek memories echo similar of others I've heard about. Like, Star Trek was the first color TV show I ever saw. While we still had a black and white TV our next door neighbor's had a new color TV and we'd go to their house and watch a few episodes, I had just turned 9 that week. 
Like many though I really became involved when they became a nightly TV shows with syndication in the 1970s. We watched them almost every night. My mom got me a small reel to reel tape recorder and among other things I recorded I remember taping the audio of several episodes and I'd play them back. I'd set the large plug in microphone next to the TV speaker for the best sound. 

I'm currently listening to the audio book of the first 25 of the 50 years of Star Trek. Very interesting reading or listening to hear the real stories of all the rumors of discord from the era. And to hear the thoughts of so many people that were involved, lots of really interesting history. 
I also remember going with my mom to LA to a Star Trek convention. I think this was the second one, the first one in the LA area. I don't recall the people all dressed up as many enjoy at similar events today, just lots of people there to enjoy the show and cast. We were only there for a few hours and I was just amazed at the merchandise available even then, it seems like there is even more now with the high priced reproductions I wish I could afford! 

To all readers, I hope you too have your own Star trek memories, and can you believe it, 50 years!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life in a Northern Town, In Winter

So, here we are, early in 2018. While our area gets cold, we don't get the  really cold, the cold of Montana and eastward. Where we are, in North Idaho, 30 miles from Canada, we are in a bowl of a valley. That's why we wind up with mostly overcast days in the winter. We are also pretty well protected from the strong blizzard kinds of winds and the weather patterns that are causing the conditions in Montana eastward, a parked high-pressure system that steers that super cold weather up and over this area and into Montana and eastward. We are into, what is usually some of the coldest weather of the year for this area, for a normal year! When was the last of those, normal years, thanks to climate change, whether from natural cycles or what's been changed by human expansion? Anyway, since before Christmas the area has been lows in the 8 to 10-degree (F) range (-13 C to -12 C) with highs in the upper teens to low 20's (-6 C or so). As mentioned the last post, we'd

Yeah!! The Elections are over!!! For now.....

Yes we're sure glad the elections are over, that is a really good thing. But we're even more happy that they're over because of the CONSTANT commercials on TV and the, seemed like, every night calls at home. With the stretched out length of this election "season" (as it was referred to on many programs!), and with those increasingly annoying TV adds and calls to sway votes, we quit answering the phone all together, were really bad and lasted so much longer this time around. And with our ability to see regional TV from other locations in the US and Canada, what we didn't see for more local stuff, we saw the same kinds of things for those areas instead. It was interesting at times, and thoughts of how things could have changed if the actual election had been held earlier with the rush of pro Palin, or if Obama had chosen Hillary instead of Biden, just so many things this time around had potential for some serious changes to the outcome! But we've got what

Other things from the past week

Hornets, Yellow jackets, and Wasps, a very, very bad year this year for them around here!  And not just in our area but most of North Idaho from what we've found out. In fact when Stacy stopped at Wal Mart to buy some new bait for our traps, Wal Mart was sold out and across the street at Home Depot, she was lucky to get there when a new shipment of traps and bait was being opened. She was told by the clerk that their shipments have been selling out in less than a day and as quick as a half hour as so many people are having problems with the bugs! And hospital and doctor visits have increased dramatically too due to stings according to the news. It has been both hotter and dryer than normal locally this summer so mosquitoes were way down, a very good thing!  But now in late August when the "skitos" would be low anyway, the Hornets, Yellow Jackets and Wasps, and yes we have all three types on our place!, have been going crazy quietly building nests all over the