Skip to main content

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Not a whole lot going on lately!

I mean, Stacy and I do have some big news for us. Oldest daughter Sandy has cashed in her copious air miles from all her on the job flights (like the one she's on right now to Florida, and she just told me on the phone that she gets back to L.A. tonight then flies out to India on Saturday!) for tickets for Stacy and me, to, in late November, go with her and Erik to Germany for 10 days!
Now this will be the first time for me to be off the Continent, I've been to Canada quite a few times now but never someplace over a 10 hours flight away!
I think this will be Sandy and Erik's forth or fifth trip over, and Stacy had spent about one year there over a couple of years span in her teens.
So at only four months away Stacy's in full trip prep mode! We're counting on Sandy's suggestions as well as all the information available on-line to try to make it the best possible experience. Although Sandy has said that knowledge of the German language isn't a real necessity, and I also have been told that from a friend that's from Germany and tries to visit her parents every year there, Stacy and I are still planning on learning some words and phrases. After attempting to get some words/phrases down, I'm thinking the best phrase for me to learn is how "I don't speak German!"
We got a couple of computer programs, have the demo disk for Rosetta Stone I'd gotten a couple of years ago, and have actually found that quite a lot is available on learning the language on You-Tube! I'm picking up and can recognize quite a few of the words, but it's the sentence structure that is throwing me off. And I always thought some of our language was weird!
If you want to see and hear some funny stuff though, check out learning to speak Australian slang on You-Tube. I was checking yesterday about other languages that have videos on You-Tube, and came across this topic. Yeah, some aren't very good but a couple were really funny!
The Germany trip is around and encompasses the time of Thanksgiving, before that trip is a 4 day one to Missouri at the beginning of November and before that trip is a week and a half for a relatives wedding in Wyoming immediately followed by a four day Juvenile Justice Conference at Idaho Falls in September. At least we can use the our trailer for the September trip.
Busy rest of 2009 for us!!!!

Other stuff,
well if you hadn't noticed Summer is plugging along. Seems to be hot just about all over the North West. The last couple of days it's been hotter in Seattle than it is out here! I saw it was 102 to 108 there yesterday, broke many records. I saw a story on North West Cable News, www.nwcn.com, about people waiting in line, some from 1:00 am!, for a shipment of portable air conditioners! "Cooling Stations" are being opened since so many homes and places don't have air conditioning or cooling since it 'never' gets that hot over there! I think though, that since these records keep getting broken almost every year, maybe if I lived there I'd buy a cooler! And our old area has been at or over 100 degrees for the last two weeks.
Last August when Stacy and I went out to visit Mike and Brenda's then new house, it was very hot, then the hottest weekend of the year, even that wasn't THIS hot though, and that home didn't have a/c! Their newest new house does though!
Locally the last couple of days have gotten less humid (nice) and not too hot, around 90 in the daytime and still getting to the low 50's at night (very nice!). About 5 days of some heavy Thunderstorms which have been making us nervous after all that happened with the near hit we had, but the rain has been good out of it. Only thing anybody can guess about the lightning that fried some of our stuff is that maybe we had a tree hit but close enough to the HughesNet and Direct TV dishes to have some of the energy transferred through the cables into the house to damage the electronics.
The final damages? Luckily the dishes themselves were not damaged, but
Our HushesNet Satellite Internet Receiver.
Our wired and wireless router, connected to the HughesNet.
Stacy's fathers Mac computer, connected to the router.
The wired switch box for other computers in the house, also connected to the router by 25 feet of
cable.
One of the two Direct TV receivers, the one in the living room closest to the computer connection.
One of the phone lines in the house was the only line visibly damaged by heat, that line also fried our
answering machine and a cordless phone that was plugged into it!

What was really weird and nobody can explain, is how the power plugs to all those devices with separate ones weren't damaged. Neither were any but the one of the phone lines damaged, the same with the computer cables, none of those were damaged! The Direct TV receiver was toast but nothing else, and all were plugged into the same surge protected box, was damaged (thank goodness!!!).
But then EVERYTHING was plugged into surge protected, grounded, supposedly immune from lightning damaged connections! How did it happen???
I guess we'll never know! We just hope it doesn't happen again!!!

Till next time, Tad

Comments

Camdin said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Camdin said…
I just finished reading your Blog this evening and it's wonderful that you and Stacy will be going with Sandy and Erik to Germany,I know you will have a wonderful time..Just relaxing this afternoon and evening it has been super hot here as well.102 on the porch in the shade a couple of days ago. Talk to you all later...

Popular posts from this blog

February 1st

Just as with the last post I wrote, Stacy is again down in Boise for meetings. This time two days of different types that she was wrangled into going for when the supervisor didn't want to go. These are some high end "department head" meetings and state wide commissioners from the state are there too. Stacy does feel a little out of place but she should do well in any event. It was winter again over the weekend, we woke up on Saturday to a light snow. It wasn't sticking then and it snowed all day without any staying on the ground. Overnight into Sunday it got cold enough and started to stay. Got almost two inches and it snowed all day yesterday too. Actually it was nice. Stacy had to drive over to Spokane (2- 1/2 hours away) for her flight to Boise and when she called she said it was slow going much of the way towards Coeur d' Alene then the snow became rain from before that area on. It is usually colder here than Sandpoint (because of the large lake there), and S...

Just an update

It is getting more like fall to winter now in our area. All the weather forecasts give the possible snow levels and altitudes in the recordings. The temps have been in the low 50's for the past week which is the normal temp range. It has warmed up at night to the low thirties from the low twenties of last week and earlier this week. Next week it's forecasting only low to mid forties! For the high temps! In looking at photos and the older blogs, last October 27th, 2009, was the first snow of the season back then. Will it snow around the same time this year? Stacy and I are both off work next week because our daughter Laura and her son, the only grand kid so far, will be flying out this Sunday for a weeks visit. Stacy and I are really looking forward to the visit. Last time Laura was here was in the summer of 2006 for a couple of weeks. Quite a lot has changed in her little family since then! And Tyler is 4 years old now so he might do more than sleep or cry as he did last visit!...

Its Fall again!

Although the date this says 'posted' is from a while back, I'm online to type about theses photos and get this posted for you to see today, October 12th! I'd uploaded these and the next post couple of photos fully intending to get right back to it in a day or so, it just didn't happen like that. Stacy's father took a trip to California to visit family out there and since he was gone (he's getting back tomorrow night) we've been very busy working at home as well as stuff going on at work. So it's been busy, busy, busy! Stacy left this morning to fly to Boise for meetings (again!) and will be back late tomorrow too. On to these photos; top one is actually on our property, just out back in the forest. The fern was just going yellow to gold then, on this fall morning, it is really golden and rust browns now just a couple of weeks later. Middle photo is a road a little over a mile away in the early evening that I liked with the late day sun on the Aspen ...