Skip to main content

The Rest of the trip and since our return

So I just reread what I had written in the last post and other then a few things I pretty well covered Thetbroth was very good he trip to Hawaii with that post.
I was going to post some photos here but I created an online album of the photos I'd taken with my Galaxy Note II as with my phone all photos and videos get automatically uploaded, and backed up!
But already being online makes arranging an album so much easier. I think I had sent a link to just about everyone but if I missed you just send me a note and I'll get you hooked up! 
So, back to the story. 
One of the evenings on Oahu we decided to try the public transit to travel to Waikiki as Sean doesn't like to go there very often because traffic is a BIG problem, parking the WORST! Stacy and I, on many trips, have tried out the area transit to get around, some have been great, some not so much. 
Taking the bus from Sean's place wasn't too bad, a lot of local residents utilize the system which is good but made for a crowded bus. 
After getting there we arrived near sunset with the idea of watching the sun go down at Waikiki. We watched until the sun went behind a cloud layer and then the show was over, before sunset. The four of us walked around on the beach and then went to an area with shops and restaurants and decided to have dinner. After trying a few places and everything being pretty full, we decided to try the restaurant named Roy's which is a "world famous" eating establishment. So we tried it out. Yes it was expensive as pretty much everything is at Waikiki. Stacy had an unusual salad, Sean was adventuresome and ordered duck, I stayed with recognizable and ordered rib lets and Brandy also kept to the recognizable in her dish too. 
So after a bit we get our orders and Sean finds out he HATES duck! I trade with Sean and I've had duck so it was, OK, but not great. That meal became a standard to comment on the entire trip! 

When we left to go to Hawaii, we flew on Friday the 13th, great prices because of the superstitution. Stacy and I really challenged the superstitution because as our plane was rolling down the runway for our 5 1/2 hour flight, it was 9:11 am on Friday the 13th. Stacy was not happy when I told her that little fact!


Overall a great trip and we look forward to the next visit to the area!


I had written the above on the morning of October 19th and now here it is the 25th (2 months till Christmas!) and I've been too busy at work to finish it!

So here I go. This week? Well last Saturday, the afternoon of the 19th, I got (hopefully) the last sting of 2013 when a dormant Hornet got me on my R-ring finger. We had just winterized our trailer and in the process we'd knocked off and killed many of the now dormant monsters. As I was pulling the strap across the back of the trailer to clip it closed, I felt that instant pain and knew I'd just been stung, again! Second time this season for me too. Stacy still "won" if you call it that, lost actually, by getting stung a total of 5 times this summer. After I felt the sting I looked and saw in the knot of the excess webbing for the strap, not one but 2 hornets side by side in the strap. I never thought to look there! And I had slid my non gloved hand and finger right to its butt to get stung!

Well I luckily had no major reaction and that's always the concern now as both Stacy and I are VERY allergic to stings. I experienced mainly just pain, stiffness and swelling that spread to much of my hand by that evening. By Sunday evening my entire hand was hot, red, itchy and swollen and by Monday Morning the swelling was working it's way up my right arm too. Stacy and I were both concerned as Stacy's last sting had been a wasp sting on her left wrist and she'd had the same thing occur, swelling from her hand and about half way up her arm, it had looked like she was wearing a large read glove on her left arm and I was getting there too.
That Monday morning I called and was able to get an appointment at 4 that afternoon and get it checked out.
The other big thing to me this week was I was to have my first colonoscopy Wednesday with Tuesday being my clean out, liquid diet and laxatives day in preparation for that next day and I wasn't sure if this sting was going to change it all.
To shorten this story, I was examined and given a steroid shot to ease the intense itch and swelling and told I was OK for the Wednesday procedure.
Tuesday was difficult only in the fact I was STARVING by 2 PM and the broth wasn't cutting it anymore.  The broth was good but it really needs the noodles and chicken to go with it.  
That all changed at 4 when I started the 64 ounce bottle of juice infused with 2 weeks worth of laxitive to give that little extra boost of clean out power! After polishing that bottle off, 8 ounces every 10 minutes for an hour, I was stuffed, no longer hungry and waiting for the 'explosion' to come.
The grumbly tumbly started very soon after and I was mostly reading on the toilet the rest of the evening.
So my first time at this was also my first experience with anesthesia and to be completely honest, that was my biggest concern of the procedure.  
In the operation room all ready to start and the nurse asks me what am I going to dream while I'm asleep. As I've never been here before I say I have no idea and then I'm gone! What I did dream was that I was listening to a podcast. 
I was out for about 20 minutes and then I was done and back in the room to recover.  
So DONE! Another thing checked off after this crazy year health wise. 

And now it's 8:30 in the evening,  Stacy is sewing on some holiday projects and I'm done for now! 
Till next post,  Tad 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life in a Northern Town, In Winter

So, here we are, early in 2018. While our area gets cold, we don't get the  really cold, the cold of Montana and eastward. Where we are, in North Idaho, 30 miles from Canada, we are in a bowl of a valley. That's why we wind up with mostly overcast days in the winter. We are also pretty well protected from the strong blizzard kinds of winds and the weather patterns that are causing the conditions in Montana eastward, a parked high-pressure system that steers that super cold weather up and over this area and into Montana and eastward. We are into, what is usually some of the coldest weather of the year for this area, for a normal year! When was the last of those, normal years, thanks to climate change, whether from natural cycles or what's been changed by human expansion? Anyway, since before Christmas the area has been lows in the 8 to 10-degree (F) range (-13 C to -12 C) with highs in the upper teens to low 20's (-6 C or so). As mentioned the last post, we'd

Yeah!! The Elections are over!!! For now.....

Yes we're sure glad the elections are over, that is a really good thing. But we're even more happy that they're over because of the CONSTANT commercials on TV and the, seemed like, every night calls at home. With the stretched out length of this election "season" (as it was referred to on many programs!), and with those increasingly annoying TV adds and calls to sway votes, we quit answering the phone all together, were really bad and lasted so much longer this time around. And with our ability to see regional TV from other locations in the US and Canada, what we didn't see for more local stuff, we saw the same kinds of things for those areas instead. It was interesting at times, and thoughts of how things could have changed if the actual election had been held earlier with the rush of pro Palin, or if Obama had chosen Hillary instead of Biden, just so many things this time around had potential for some serious changes to the outcome! But we've got what

Other things from the past week

Hornets, Yellow jackets, and Wasps, a very, very bad year this year for them around here!  And not just in our area but most of North Idaho from what we've found out. In fact when Stacy stopped at Wal Mart to buy some new bait for our traps, Wal Mart was sold out and across the street at Home Depot, she was lucky to get there when a new shipment of traps and bait was being opened. She was told by the clerk that their shipments have been selling out in less than a day and as quick as a half hour as so many people are having problems with the bugs! And hospital and doctor visits have increased dramatically too due to stings according to the news. It has been both hotter and dryer than normal locally this summer so mosquitoes were way down, a very good thing!  But now in late August when the "skitos" would be low anyway, the Hornets, Yellow Jackets and Wasps, and yes we have all three types on our place!, have been going crazy quietly building nests all over the