Skip to main content

Some Catching Up to Do

I just haven't had the time to get the posts done! I had saved this as a draft several weeks ago and haven't had the time to finish and post it with all the work paperwork lately.

My catching up starts here with the eulogy I had written about my father for his funeral. After my week long trip to Missouri in late August, he had again beat the odds and had lived just about a month longer than we were told he would.
But finally his body gave out and he passed away on September 25, 2011.  We just weren't able to return to Missouri for the funeral but our daughter Laura did attend for us. I wrote the following which was read at the funeral as were comments from all the brothers and sons. I was given the audio of the services and a copy video collage used. It was very nice, and we really wish we could have attended.


In Memory Of My father
So here I am, the oldest son, yet I probably knew Clifford, my dad, the least amount of time then most of the people here.
I started as a story that while common today, we didn’t think of as common back in the 1950s. Two kids get married, have a baby, and then get divorced: because they were too young to have gotten married in the first place!
As we all know, life has many “Y’s” in the road. Mine has definitely been no different. As I grew up my Dad or the Goodwin family had never been a topic of much discussion. I grew up as Joseph Tad Brown. It took my applying for a passport to find out that my birth certificate was still Goodwin. Several years before 2005, my wife Stacy had asked my uncle Joey about my dad and he had always said nothing but positives about him. After that information, Stacy would occasionally ask me about trying to find him over the years. And thanks to her searching, we did, with just a short letter of inquiry to an address we had absolutely no idea would be the right one. Guess it was!!
Just as easily though I could have gone my entire life never meeting my dad, but then I was really lucky to have gotten the chance to have known him at all and even that was, I guess, as much a miracle as me being able to reconnect. You see, I was told the story of how, ready for a relaxing retirement of leisure and travel, and starting this out on a cruise with very dear family members, dad was knocked off his feet by a heart attack.  The doctors at the time were giving him, days, weeks, maybe even a month or two at most, but over 14 years later he was still ticking and kicking!
Of course though, over the years, all the medications he had to take began to take their toll, and with him in failing health we all began to gather at the end of August. Again the doctors said it was to be only hours or days, and again dad made it another month beyond what the doctors thought he could possibly live! And up to the very last, his heart that was supposed to stop years ago wouldn’t stop without a fight!
While I was there in Missouri a few weeks ago, dad and I had the opportunity to really talk about many things. We talked about how much my life would have been different had I been able to have stayed in contact with the family. We both were wishing we could have changed that, but no one can. You can only go forward not back.
I am very glad to have met him, very glad to have spent the time and had conversations with him, very glad to have been introduced to, what I feel, is a great family. Back in 2005 I instantly had two new brothers, new cousins, and multitudes of relatives, many of which I still haven’t even met yet!
But all in all, I am very proud be part of the Goodwin family and I will truly miss my father, Clifford.
I would like to thank my daughter and dad’s granddaughter Laura and our grandson, and dad’s great grandson, Tyler, for attending on our behalf today.

Tad

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life in a Northern Town, In Winter

So, here we are, early in 2018. While our area gets cold, we don't get the  really cold, the cold of Montana and eastward. Where we are, in North Idaho, 30 miles from Canada, we are in a bowl of a valley. That's why we wind up with mostly overcast days in the winter. We are also pretty well protected from the strong blizzard kinds of winds and the weather patterns that are causing the conditions in Montana eastward, a parked high-pressure system that steers that super cold weather up and over this area and into Montana and eastward. We are into, what is usually some of the coldest weather of the year for this area, for a normal year! When was the last of those, normal years, thanks to climate change, whether from natural cycles or what's been changed by human expansion? Anyway, since before Christmas the area has been lows in the 8 to 10-degree (F) range (-13 C to -12 C) with highs in the upper teens to low 20's (-6 C or so). As mentioned the last post, we'd

Yeah!! The Elections are over!!! For now.....

Yes we're sure glad the elections are over, that is a really good thing. But we're even more happy that they're over because of the CONSTANT commercials on TV and the, seemed like, every night calls at home. With the stretched out length of this election "season" (as it was referred to on many programs!), and with those increasingly annoying TV adds and calls to sway votes, we quit answering the phone all together, were really bad and lasted so much longer this time around. And with our ability to see regional TV from other locations in the US and Canada, what we didn't see for more local stuff, we saw the same kinds of things for those areas instead. It was interesting at times, and thoughts of how things could have changed if the actual election had been held earlier with the rush of pro Palin, or if Obama had chosen Hillary instead of Biden, just so many things this time around had potential for some serious changes to the outcome! But we've got what

Other things from the past week

Hornets, Yellow jackets, and Wasps, a very, very bad year this year for them around here!  And not just in our area but most of North Idaho from what we've found out. In fact when Stacy stopped at Wal Mart to buy some new bait for our traps, Wal Mart was sold out and across the street at Home Depot, she was lucky to get there when a new shipment of traps and bait was being opened. She was told by the clerk that their shipments have been selling out in less than a day and as quick as a half hour as so many people are having problems with the bugs! And hospital and doctor visits have increased dramatically too due to stings according to the news. It has been both hotter and dryer than normal locally this summer so mosquitoes were way down, a very good thing!  But now in late August when the "skitos" would be low anyway, the Hornets, Yellow Jackets and Wasps, and yes we have all three types on our place!, have been going crazy quietly building nests all over the